3. BAR GAUGE- How thick should the bars be?
The thickness of the bars is referred to as Bar Gauge and is an important consideration when choosing an appropriate cage. Choosing an insufficient bar gauge may result in damage to the cage (bents bars, broken welds, etc.) and escape, in which case you may need a new couch when you get home!
Bar Gauge is normally measured in millimeters (2.5 mm, 4 mm, etc.) and here are some guidelines:
- 2 mm or lessSmall birds (i.e. canaries, finches, parakeets, etc.)
- 2.5 mm Cockatiels, lovebirds, conures, etc.
- 3.5 mm Quakers, greys, amazons, goffins, etc.
- 5 mm or more Larger cockatoos, macaws, etc.